About Michael G. Wales
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA MARITIME LAWYER
Michael Wales graduated from the Sandra Day O’Conner School of Law at Arizona State University in 1991 and has been practicing law in California for almost 30 years. Mike is a former prosecutor, former judge, and trial lawyer who assists his clients, both locally and nationally, with all things maritime-related. Mike’s office is located at Sunroad Marina in San Diego, California.
Mike holds the following designations:
- Member, Million Dollar Advocates Forum ®
- Member, Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum ®
Mike resides in Coronado with his wife Leilani. They are both avid boaters and are active members of the Coronado Cays Yacht Club, San Diego Sail and Power Squadron, and California Yacht Brokers Association. Mike also holds multiple American Sailing Association Certifications.
Mike has previously lived in Arizona, Texas, New York, Virginia, and Mexico. Mike enjoys sailing, delivering boats for clients, fishing, and international travel with Leilani.
Mike is a frequent author and speaker on topics of interest to recreational and commercialboaters, marina owners, yacht brokers, and others, such as:
- Tax Benefits of Placing Your Yacht in a Local Charter Program;
- Legal Requirements for Heading to, and Returning from, Mexico;
- Cross-border Towing and Salvage Issues;
- Maintaining Proper Liability and Property Damage Insurance Coverage for Your Yacht;
- The Good, Bad & Slightly Ugly of Forming an LLC to Own Your Boat;
- Important Considerations When Purchasing a Yacht in an LLC;
- Important Considerations When Taking Delivery of a Yacht Offshore;
- A Yacht Owner’s Liability for Offshore Passenger or Crew Injuries; and
- Tax Considerations When Your Boat is a Part of Your Business.
Mike also owns AGL Yacht Sales, Inc., a San Diego Yacht Brokerage, with his wife Leilani Wales, a Certified Professional Yacht Broker. For assistance with any maritime legal matter, you may contact Mike at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 619.493.1700.