MICHAEL G. WALES, FOUNDER OF THE WALES LAW FIRM, P.C.
Michael ("Mike") Wales is engaged in a corporate, partnership, limited liability company, securities, mergers and acquisitions (M&A), asset protection and tax planning practice. He has extensive experience in business entity formation and governance matters, M&A, and financing transactions in a variety of industries, including energy, financial, insurance, and technology. Mike also advises boards of directors and their audit, compensation, and special committees concerning fiduciary duties and other corporate governance issues.
Mike graduated from the Sandra Day O’Conner School of Law at Arizona State University in 1991 and has been practicing law in California for almost 30 years. Mike is a former prosecutor, trial lawyer and judge who now assists his clients, both locally and nationally, with corporate and LLC purchases, yacht and aircraft purchases, business due diligence investigations, vendor and insurance contract review, mergers, acquisitions, debt and equity financing, obtaining sales and use tax exemptions, and other business, asset protection, and tax matters, saving his clients hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Mike's successes as a trial lawyer have earned him the distinction of being a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum® and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum®. Mike is also a Bronze Sponsor of the California Yacht Brokers Association.
Mike is an avid boater and active member of the Coronado Cays Yacht Club, San Diego Sail and Power Squadron, and California Yacht Brokers Association. Mike also holds multiple American Sailing Association Certifications.
Mike is a frequent author and speaker on topics of interest to recreational and commercial aviators and boaters, marina owners, yacht brokers, and others, such as:
- Tax Benefits of Placing Your Yacht in a Local Charter Program;
- Tax Considerations When Your Boat is a Part of Your Business;
- mportant Considerations When Purchasing a Yacht in an LLC;
- Important Considerations When Taking Delivery of a Yacht Offshore;
- Legally Purchasing a Vessel in Mexico;
- Purchasing a BVI Corporation;
- Legal Requirements for Heading to, and Returning from, Mexico;
- Cross-border Towing and Salvage Issues;
- Maintaining Proper Liability and Property Damage Insurance Coverage for Your Yacht;
- The Good, Bad & Slightly Ugly of Forming an LLC to Own Your Boat
- A Yacht Owner’s Liability for Offshore Passenger or Crew Injuries; and
- Tax Considerations When Your Boat is a Part of Your Business.
Mike also owns AGL Yacht Sales, Inc., a San Diego Yacht Brokerage, with his wife Leilani Wales, a Certified Professional Yacht Broker. For assistance with any sales or use tax matter, or any business matter, you may contact Mike at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 619.493.1700.